2017-01-04 09:36:06 According to the National Weather Service, Weather Forecast Office Birmingham, winter temperatures are returning to our area beginning tonight, 4 Jan 2017, and extending into early next week. Peak daytime highs over the next several days are expected to be in the mid-to-upper 50’s. However, nighttime lows warrant special attention as temperatures will once again sink to freezing (32°F) and subfreezing beginning Friday night.
Detailed Forecast As of: 4 Jan, 2017:
Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 54. North wind around 10 mph.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 35. North wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Mostly sunny, with a high near 56. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
A 20 percent chance of rain after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38. West wind around 5 mph becoming north after midnight.
A 50 percent chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 42. North wind 5 to 10 mph.
Rain showers likely, possibly mixed with snow and sleet before midnight, then rain likely, possibly mixed with snow and sleet. Cloudy, with a low around 30. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
A 20 percent chance of snow before noon. Mostly sunny, with a high near 41.
A slight chance of flurries. Mostly clear, with a low around 24.
Sunny, with a high near 44.
Mostly clear, with a low around 26.
Sunny, with a high near 46.
Mostly clear, with a low around 32.
Mostly sunny, with a high near 57.
Please Remember: With these very cold temperatures, 1) Utilize only safe home heating methods, 2) Stay alert to carbon monoxide dangers, and 3) Take care of the four P’s…People, Pets, Plants, and Pipes!
Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning During Home Heating
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that kills more than 500 Americans every year. Never use generators, grills, camp stoves, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning devices inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window. If it’s cold, find another location to stay that is being safely heated.
You Can Prevent Carbon Monoxide Exposure
- Do have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
- Do install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds leave your home immediately and call 911.
- Do seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseated.
- Don’t use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window.
- Don’t run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
- Don’t burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.
- Don’t heat your house with a gas oven
Contact the Elmore County EMA at 334-567-6451 if we can be of any assistance.