Be Smart. Take Part. Prepare.
2018 Severe Weather Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday Set for
According to the Alabama Department of Revenue, Alabama will hold its seventh annual Severe Weather Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday, beginning Friday, February 23, 2018 at 12:01 a.m. and ending Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 12 midnight, giving shoppers the opportunity to purchase certain severe weather preparedness items free of state sales tax (local sales tax may apply).
Everyone is encouraged to purchase/restock emergency supplies for their homes, workplaces and vehicles during this three-day tax holiday. Certain emergency preparedness items will be exempt from the state’s 4-percent state sales tax, and in some cities and counties, local taxes are waived on those items as well. Up to a 10-percent savings is possible in some locations.
Elmore County Emergency Management Agency urges everyone to take advantage of the Sales Tax Holiday to make sure you are prepared and protected in any severe weather event.
Of interest to Elmore County citizens: As of February 22, 2018, the following localities are identified as participating in this sales tax holiday:
Autauga County – Yes
Elmore County – Yes
Montgomery County and City of Montgomery – Yes
Town of Coosada – Yes
Town of Eclectic – Yes
City of Millbrook – Yes
City of Tallassee – Yes
City of Wetumpka – Yes
|COVERED ITEMS – $60 OR LESS, PER ITEM|
- AAA-cell batteries
- AA-cell batteries
- C-cell batteries
- D-cell batteries
- 6-volt batteries
- 9-volt batteries
- Cellular phone battery
- Cellular phone charger
- Portable self-powered or battery-powered radio, two-way radios
- Weatherband radio or NOAA weather radio
- Portable self-powered light source, including battery-powered flashlights
- Lanterns, or emergency glow sticks
- Plastic Sheeting
- Plastic drop cloths
- Other flexible, water-proof sheeting
- Ground anchor system, such as bungee cords or rope, or tie-down kit
- Duct tape
- Plywood or window film
- Other materials specifically designed to protect window coverings
- Non-electrical food storage cooler or water storage container
- Non-electric can opener
- Artificial Ice
- Blue ice
- Ice packs
- Reusable ice
- Self-contained first aid kit
- Fire extinguisher
- Smoke detector
- Carbon monoxide detector
- Gas or Diesel fuel tank or container
- Coin batteries
- Automobile and boat batteries
A single purchase with a sales price of $1000 or Less:
- Any portable generator and power cords – used to provide light or communications or preserve food in the event of a power outage.
For more information, you may contact the Alabama Department of Revenue at 334-242-1490 OR 866-576-6531.
You may also contact the Elmore County Emergency Management Agency at 334-567-6451.